Returnees & Deportees: Seeking Identity and Belonging in Higher Education (Brazil Event)


Yesterday at the #FAUBAI Conference 2019 in Belém, Brazil, UDEM (Universidad de Monterrey) gave a presentation on the programs they have for refugees. Under their umbrella, they have programs for the typical refugee from Syria (from the perspective of American eyes although the presenter is was M) among others, and it was interesting to hear that even our brothers from Syria with war-torn countries have concerns about the crime rate in Mexico when deciding to come live here (I'm writing as if I was in Mexico now). 

When the presenter started talking about those of Mexican descent who were taken to the USA as children, and then how they were supported through a scholarship called ReconoceR, I couldn't help to feel weird as we (returnees and deportees)  were being discussed as the subject of study in a presentation at an International Education Conference. I don't even know if I'm trying to make a point here, but I felt: 

1. A huge disconnect being now an International Education professional trying to connect with our Brazilian (and other) universities at the Conference for work.

2. The presenter kept referring to us as "they," "these students,"...and it couldn't be otherwise, since he is not us, but the quotes he presented from different scholarship participants were interesting. One of them said that he didn't have any regio friends. That all his friends were American, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, etc. No Mexican friends (local friends), though. 

3. The presenter mentioned (and I quote) "a more extreme case" of a youth who was detained by ICE, handcuffs and all,  and left alone crossing the border. He mentioned that this was a more extreme and rare case. I want to add here that, unfortunately, this is neither more extreme nor rare--it is actually quite common and standard.

4. At the end, when it was time for questions, I felt compelled to ask a few but didn't. Would the audience understand? Would I be that person that clings to a question or topic at a conference with the clock ticking against me? 

I want to ask the following questions here, mainly for my returnee/deportee Otros Dreams en Acción/@Dream in Mexico Community, rhetorically speaking, really. I'm not expecting answers: If these returnees/deportees are not making Mexican friends at a recognized Mexican Institution, what is holding them back? Are they being stereotyped by our Mexican nationals - brothers and sisters? Are they stereotyping our Mexican nationals? Both? What is the Institution doing to foster a more efficient integration? Is "universidad" just loose pieces as part of a whole? Where is the cohesiveness in the term? How are minds being opened outside of the class among the student body? 

I understand a lot of these students come directly from the USA, pretty much as an international student would - often times avoiding the trauma that is returning jobless/university-less/without relatives, etc. Are they seeing themselves as American international students? (nothing wrong with that) I would love to know what is inside the head of one of these scholars. If anybody knows anyone or is one, let me know, I'd love to hear your story.

April 16, 2019

Comments